These Lentil Tortillas are healthy, gluten-free, vegan, nut-free and oil-free! They’re also low calorie, high protein, easy and made using just 2 ingredients making them budget-friendly!Jump to Recipe
Who doesn’t love tacos? They’re definitely one of my top three favourite foods!
I love making my own tortillas. You may be thinking “that sounds like a lot of effort”, this is what I also thought before discovering this recipe…
These red lentil tortillas are made using just TWO INGREDIENTS! Technically you only need one ingredient and water. Yes, that’s right!
These tortillas are made by soaking some lentils, blending them up and frying them up like pancakes.
You don’t have to make tacos with these tortillas, they are also amazing as wraps or just dipped into some hummus!
Why you need to make these 2-ingredient Lentil Tortillas:
- They’re super easy to make
- High protein
- Extremely budget-friendly
- Did I mention you only need 2-ingredients!?
The question is rather: WHY NOT???
How to make these 2-ingredient Lentil Tortillas
Technically you only need one ingredient. Red Lentils. I have not tried these with any other type of lentil, but I don’t see why it would be any different? I used dried split red lentils, you can buy these in pretty much any grocery store.
The second “ingredient” is water. Yes, magical H20. Just plain old tap water does the trick (only if your water is drinkable though!).
Optional: Salt. Not necessary, but I like salt.
You will need to soak the lentils for at least 6 hours. This will soften the lentils and make them more digestible. I have not made these without soaking the lentils, so I’m not sure how they would turn out…
After soaking the lentils, pour the lentils along with the soaking water in a blender and blend her up. Blend until smooth and fluffy. The mixture may be a bit lumpy, but make sure there are no whole lentils left.
*Please note that after blending, the mixture may separate with liquid at the bottom and a frothy consistency on top. THIS IS NORMAL! Just give it a stir and carry on!
Add some salt to the mixture if you like.
Heat a NON-STICK pan to medium. I highly recommend you using a good non-stick pan, I’ve used a regular pan before with some oil spray and this also works, but non-stick is the way to go!
Ladle in some of the mixture. They mixture will be runny, similar to pancake batter. Form a circle and then cover with a lid. Leave for a couple of minutes until the edges start to cook and you are able to flip them.
Flip the tortillas and then cook until golden and cooked!
If you have leftovers you can store these in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat in your non-stick pan on medium heat!
If you make this recipe, please leave your feedback in the comments or tag me on Instagram (@kitseats) I would love to hear from you!
- non-stick pan
- 1 cup Uncooked Red Lentils
- 2 cups Water
- Salt to taste
- Add the lentils and water to a bowl or jug, cover with a cloth and set aside on your counter to soak for at least 6 hours.
- Once soaked, add the contents of the bowl (lentils and water) to a blender and blend until there are no bits of lentils. The mixture will be smooth but fluffy. Add salt to taste.
- Heat a non-stick pan to medium then ladle in some of the mixture creating a round shape. Cover with the lid. Once the edges are cooked (after around 1-2 minutes), slide your spatula underneath and flip over. Cook for another minute until cooked through.
- Please note that after blending, the mixture may separate with liquid at the bottom and a frothy consistency on top. THIS IS NORMAL! Just give it a stir and carry on!