These Easy Baked Falafels are healthy, gluten-free and vegan! They’re crispy on the outside and soft on the inside without needing to deep fry them! This recipe is quick, affordable and you only need 5 ingredients!
Falafel is a traditional Middle Eastern food that became very popular in the vegetarian and vegan community. It traditionally comes in the form of a ball or patty, and is almost always deep fried.
There are various falafel recipes out there, depending on where you go. Most commonly they are made from ground chickpeas, onion and fresh herbs like coriander and parsley. However in Egypt the use of fava beans is more common.
I absolutely love falafel for their versatility. Some of my favourite ways to eat falafel are:
- with tzatziki and warm pita breads
- as a burger patty
- with quinoa salad and pickled red onions
- on their own!
FUN FACT OF THE DAY: The world record for the biggest falafel ball is 74.75 kg. I don’t know about you, but I definitely feel like I could eat the whole lot!
How to make this Easy Baked Falafel
Traditionally falafel is made using soaked, dry chickpeas but to make this recipe easy I used canned chickpeas.
You will need a blender or food processor for this recipe, but if you don’t have one you could attempt to use a potato masher (or your hands?)
- You will also need fresh herbs. I don’t recommend using dried herbs, I find it just isn’t the same! Coriander and parsley are two MUST HAVE herbs in falafels!
- The third ingredient is an onion. I always use one white onion, but any onion will work!
- And lastly, you need baking powder and ground flax that will work as a binder in this recipe! (If you eat eggs, you can use one of those!)
- You will also need some salt and some spices. I don’t count these as an ingredient, even though they make these falafels even better they are not necessary! I like to add cumin, garlic powder and dried coriander (because you can never have enough coriander, right?)
If you make these falafels please let me know in the comments what you think and rate them! Also: tag me as @kitseats on Instagram and #kitseats!
And if you haven’t yet subscribed to my Recipe Newsletter please do!
- blender or food processor
- 1 tin Chickpeas
- 1 Onion
- 1/2 cup Fresh Herbs (Coriander and Parsley)
- 2 tbsp Ground Flax
- 2 tsp Baking Powder (gluten-free)
- Spices (1 tsp garlic powder, 2 tsp cumin, 1 tsp dried coriander)
- Salt and Pepper
- Drain and rinse your tin of chickpeas, and place in the blender or food processor.
- Roughly chop your onion and herbs and add it in with the chickpeas. Blend until all combined, but still chunky.
- Add in the flax, baking powder, spices and salt and pepper and combine.
- Form 12 balls and place on a greased baking tray and then flatten to form a flat patty.
- Bake for 30 minutes in a preheated oven @ 200°C (400°F) flipping after 20 minutes.
- Keeps well in the fridge for 3 days.
Why not try these falafels with: