This Healthy Homemade Ketchup recipe is gluten-free, vegan, refined sugar-free and better than any store-bought ketchup you will find. You only need a few pantry ingredients and a blender and you will have delicious and healthy ketchup in 5 minutes!Jump to Recipe
Ketchup (or tomato sauce as I actually call it) is the OG sauce, there’s no doubt about it. Whether it be fries doused in ketchup, or a burger with layers of the sweet tomato sauce – ketchup has been a family favourite for decades.
I have not always been a fan of the red sauce and am more of a mayo girl, but there’s something about this homemade ketchup that has slightly changed my mind.
Whether you like it or not, there is room in everyone’s fridge for a good bottle of ketchup.
You may be wondering why anyone would make their own ketchup when you can just buy a bottle from any shop you go to? Well, most (if not all) bottled ketchup you buy from the shops is filled with sugar and sodium.
And that’s not good, is it?
It really isn’t difficult to make your own ketchup. This recipe is so simple, I hope once you try it that you will never buy tomato sauce again!
How to make Healthy Homemade Ketchup
All you need is a few ingredients, chuck them in a blender and call it a day. A lot of homemade ketchup recipes call for white sugar, which requires you to simmer the mixture on the stove until it dissolves. I don’t have time for that, and I like quick and easy recipes
This ketchup is sweetened with dates, so no refined sugar here!
You will also need a tin of tomato puree, or even just a tin of chopped tomatoes! Everyone has that in their pantry!
Another important ingredient in this recipe is vinegar. Ketchup has a distinctively sweet taste, but this needs to be balanced well with the acidity. I use apple cider vinegar as it has loads of health benefits. If you don’t have ACV you can use white distilled vinegar instead.
First off: I know a lot of people that keep opened ketchup in their cupboard. You should not be doing this with store-bought ketchup and you DEFINITELY shouldn’t do it with this one.
This ketchup lasts around two weeks in a sealed container in the fridge. I know bottled tomato sauce lasts a lot longer in the fridge but that’s because of all of the preservatives in it. So if you don’t pour ketchup over everything you eat, and your batch lasts longer than two weeks, you can simply freeze it and thaw it when you need it.
Let me know if you try this recipe and what you eat it with! I would love to hear from you! You can find me on Instagram as @kitseats
Healthy Homemade Ketchup
- blender or food processor
- 100 grams Soft Dates
- 3/4 cup Boiling Water
- 500 grams Tinned Tomato Puree or tinned chopped tomatoes
- 4 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar or white distilled vinegar
- 1 tsp Garlic Granules
- 1 tsp Onion Granules
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Yellow Mustard
- Place the dates and boiling water in a bowl and set aside to soak.
- Add the tomato puree, vinegar, garlic, onion, salt and mustard to your blender or food processor and blend until combined.
- Add in the dates and the soaking water and blend well until the dates have broken down.
- Taste the ketchup and add any additional vinegar or salt if you want. Remember that the flavour will mellow, so if the flavour is not strong enough for you add more! You can also add extra water if the ketchup is too thick.
- Pour the sauce into an airtight container and refrigerate or freeze!