These pickled red onions are quick, easy and healthy! They’re perfect with just about any savoury dish, adding a delicious tangy crunch.
Pickled Onions are so underrated. You could turn the most boring dish into something amazing just by adding a couple of slithers of these pickled onions.
I don’t think people realise how easy it is to pickle onions, so today I am sharing with you just how easy it really is. Once you make this, you will never have a boring old salad again!
Here are some of my favourite recipes to add these pickled red onions to:
How to make Pickled Red Onions
There are just a couple of ingredients that are required to make pickled onions, and then there are a couple of optional ingredients. You probably already have all of the ingredients (including the optional ones!)
You will need:
- 1 large red onion (make sure to slice them thinly!)
- half a cup of vinegar (I recommend Apple Cider Vinegar, but white distilled vinegar also works)
- half a cup of water
- 2 tbsp sugar or sweetener
- Fresh Garlic (thinly sliced)
- Dried Coriander
Before you start prepping your ingredients, I should probably mention that the onions need to be left to soak in the vinegar for a couple of hours or overnight. So even though this recipe is super easy and quick to prepare, you will need to make it a couple of hours in advance.
Pickled Red Onions
- 1 Red Onions
- 1/2 cup Vinegar (ACV tastes best)
- 1/2 cup Water
- 2 tbsp Sugar or Sweetener (I used Xylitol)
- 1 tsp Peppercorns (optional)
- 2 cloves Garlic (optional)
- 1 tsp Dried Coriander (optional)
- Thinly slice your onion. (use a mandolin if you have one)
- Add all your ingredients to a jar and seal.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. The longer they soak, the stronger the pickled flavour will be.