This Simple Sticky Date and Tea Loaf is gluten-free, vegan, nut-free, oil-free and refined sugar-free. The festive chai spices and sticky dates create a sweet and satisfying slice of cake, perfect with some salted plant-based butter and a cup of chai rooibos tea!
This tea-infused loaf is surprisingly easy to make considering the delicious flavours and texture it holds. Using just 6 ingredients and your favourite tea!
This loaf is very similar to a vegan fruit cake I recently tried, but the addition of Chai Rooibos tea took this loaf to another level of deliciousness!
This recipe is quick, easy and budget-friendly and is a perfect addition to your Christmas Pudding spread, or even as a delicious breakfast on Boxing Day! Pop a couple of slices in the toaster, smother with some plant-based butter and enjoy!
The festive flavours of this tea bread are enough to get anyone giddy for Christmas!
6 ingredients for this simple Sticky Date and Tea Loaf
This vegan and gluten-free cake calls for just 6 ingredients that, if you enjoy healthy baking, you most likely already have in your pantry! In addition to these 5-ingredients you also need your favourite tea. You can use loose leaf or tea bags!
As it’s the Festive Season, I opted for a Christmas Chai and Rooibos tea by Joe’s Tea Co. This tea became my new favourite tea as soon as I took my first sip, and I immediately realised I NEEDED to bake something delicious with it!
And so evolved this delicious Christmas tea loaf!
I highly recommend purchasing this tea, I’m planning on stocking up enough to last till next Christmas!
Alongside a delicious tea, you will also need some soft dates! The dates add a deliciously sweet and chewy element to this loaf which is just irresistible!
For even more sweetness and to keep this loaf healthy and refined sugar-free you will also need some coconut sugar. The coconut sugar also contributes to the softness of the loaf!
For this gluten-free date loaf you will also need gluten-free plain flour.
Most fruit cake recipes call for an egg, but as this is a vegan cake you will need some ground flax seeds to make a flax egg. Flax seed is also high in Omega-3 which is just an added health bonus!
Lastly, you will need some baking powder and apple cider vinegar to make this baby rise and fluffy!
How to make this sweet and simple Tea Cake
1 . Firstly you will need to brew your tea! You can use loose leaf or tea bags for this. I used tea bags but emptied them into some boiling water. Let the tea brew for 10 minutes whilst you finely chop or blend the soft dates.
2. Strain the tea and pour over the dates. Let the dates soak for around 30 minutes.
3. Make your flax egg and set aside.
4. Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl along with some cinnamon and all-spice if you want to make your loaf EXTRA festive!
5. Add the coconut sugar to the date-tea mixture and combine. Then add to the dry ingredients along with the flax egg and apple cider vinegar.
6. Bake for 50-55 minutes until golden brown! Your house will smell like Christmas!
7. Best served toasted or warm with some butter or margarine and a warm cuppa tea on the side!
Want more yummy loafs to bake? Try these:
Connect with me on Instagram (@kitseats) and send me pics if you try this!
Vegan Date and Tea Loaf
- Weighing Scales
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Spoons
- 1 lb Loaf Tin
- 4 tbsp Loose Leaf Tea or 4 tea bags
- 400 ml Boiling Water
- 250 grams Soft Dates
- 80 grams Coconut Sugar
- 1 tbsp Milled Flax Seed + 3 tbsp water
- 300 grams Gluten-free Plain Flour
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon optional
- 1/2 tsp All Spice optional
- Add your loose leaf tea, or pour the contents of your tea bags to freshly boiled water. Set aside to brew for 10 minutes.
- Finely chop your dates or blend them up. Strain your tea and pour over the dates. Let the dates soak in the tea for 30 minutes.
- Make your flax egg by mixing the flax seeds and 3 tbsp water and set aside.
- Sift the flour baking powder and spices in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix the coconut sugar into the date-tea mixture until combined. Add to the dry mixture along with the flax egg and apple cider vinegar.
- Pour into a greased 1 lb loaf tin and bake in a pre-heated oven @ 180°C for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown, and a skewer or knife comes out clean.
- Leave in the tin for 10 minutes, then remove and place on a cooling rack to cool down for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve warm or toasted with vegan butter!
*I may earn a small commission if you purchase through any affiliate links on this site.*
What I used:
- Blender / Smoothie Maker
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Spoons
- Loaf Tin
- Soft Dates
- Milled Flax Seeds
- Gluten-Free Plain Flour
- Gluten-Free Baking Powder
- Apple Cider Vinegar