This recipe for sweet and sour chickpeas is healthy, gluten-free and vegan! It’s quick and easy to make, using minimal ingredients and ready within 15 minutes making it the perfect weeknight ‘fakeaway’!Jump to Recipe
With the English weather turning around over the past week or so, I’ve become rather lazy! There’s something about cold and cloudy weather that makes me want to curl up on the sofa and watch series all day long (I’ve been binge watching Gilmore Girls!!).
This recipe is perfect for times like these. Not only is this delicious dinner ready in less than 15 minutes, but it’s such a comforting meal! It’s easy to make a bigger batch and eat throughout the week and with more and more people back at work and UNI, we need more recipes like these! (Stay tuned for more!)
How to make Sweet and Sour Chickpeas
All you need for this delicious and comforting dinner is a garlic, a tin of chickpeas, veggies of your choosing, cornflour and a tangy homemade sweet and sour sauce. Serve with some rice, fresh lime and why not treat yourself to some extra healthy fats by adding sesame seeds?
I used only one tin of chickpeas and this made two perfectly sized servings. You can easily double all quantities if you want to make more! You could alternatively cook your own chickpeas, but this will take a bit longer. If you are using tinned chickpeas remember to save the liquid and make my Chocolate Mousse recipe for pudding!
On the vegetable front you can add whatever your heart desires. I personally like tenderstem broccoli and green beans. I think green bell pepper would be amazing too!
Once the chickpeas and veg have cooked for a couple of minutes you will need to coat them in cornflour. This will make the sauce thick and sticky!
For the sweet and sour sauce you need just 4 ingredients. Gluten-free soya sauce or tamari, maple syrup for sweetness, rice vinegar and tomato paste. You will also need some water.
To make this recipe even easier I use precooked rice. You could either meal prep a big batch of rice or buy a bag of cooked rice. (Can you guess which one I did?) I used half basmati rice and half cauliflower rice for extra volume and nutrients. Try adding rice vinegar to your rice for extra flavour!
I topped all of this off with fresh lime juice, spring onion and sesame seeds!
If you want more ‘fakeaway’ inpsiration:
If you make this recipe, please leave your feedback in the comments or tag me on Instagram (@kitseats) I would love to hear from you!
Sweet and Sour Chickpeas
- 2 cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 1 tin Chickpeas
- 250 grams Veggies of Choice green beans, broccoli, bell peppers
- 1 tbsp Corn Starch cornflour
- Rice / Cauliflower Rice to serve
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 3 tbsp Soya Sauce or Tamari gluten-free
- 3 tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 5 tbsp Water
- Prepare your sauce by mixing together all the ingredients in a small bowl. Taste and adjust quantities to your taste.
- Add the chopped garlic to a non-stick pan and fry for around a minute then add in your chickpeas and vegetables and cook for a few minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
- Sprinkle the corn starch over the contents of the pan and toss them to coat.
- Pour in the sauce and leave to simmer while you prepare your rice. If you are cooking your own rice from scratch you may want to do this right at the beginning.