These Sweet Potato Brownies are healthy, gluten-free and vegan! They are easy and quick to make and of course budget-friendly! They are deliciously fudgy, and I promise no one will even know they’re made using sweet potatoes!
The thought of putting sweet potato in brownies may be off-putting to you (it was for me!) but I promise these may just be the best brownies I have ever made!
These brownies are really fudgy, which is my personal favourite type of brownie! This is a healthier brownie so it’s perfect if you want a naughty treat, but want to stay healthy!
The sweet potatoes provide some good old carbs, add some protein powder for protein and of course some peanut butter for those healthy fats!
How to make these Sweet Potato Brownies
As mentioned before, these brownies are really easy to make. I love spontaneously making them for breakfast!
We’ll start off by making a sweet potato ‘puree’. To do this all you need to do is grab two medium-sized sweet potatoes, stab them a couple of times with a fork and microwave! You could alternatively bake them in the oven, although this will take longer.
Once the sweet potatoes are soft (and cool enough to handle) they need to be peeled and mashed.
While the sweet potato is cooking you can prepare the dry ingredients. All you need is coconut flour (or ground almonds), protein powder, cocoa / cacao powder and baking powder.
Add some peanut butter, maple syrup, vanilla extract and a flax egg (or a regular egg if you are not vegan) to the mashed sweet potato and then mix it all up.
Pour into a lined baking dish and top off with some vegan chocolate or nuts, bake and enjoy!
If you like brownies why not try these:
If you make this recipe, leave a comment down below, rate this recipe and tell me what you think!
Disclaimer: this recipe is not my own, but it was too good not to share! I found it on the lovely Instagram account @nutritionn.editionn . Go have a look at their other recipes!
Sweet Potato Brownies
- 1.5 cups Sweet Potato (around 2 small sweet potatoes)
- 50 grams Coconut Flour *
- 50 grams Protein Powder (your favourite flavour)
- 40 grams Cocoa or raw Cacao powder
- 1 tsp Baking Powder (make sure it's gluten-free)
- 1 tbsp Nut Butter (I used Peanut Butter)
- 1 Flax Egg (1 tbsp ground flax with 1 tbsp water *)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Sugar-Free Syrup
- Stab your sweet potatoes a couple of times with a fork and place in the microwave for around 8 minutes or until cooked all the way through.
- Mix together the flour, protein powder, cocoa and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl mix together the nut butter, flax egg, vanilla extract and syrup.
- Once the sweet potato is cooked, peel it when it's cool enough to handle and then mash into the wet ingredients.
- Add in the dry ingredients and combine.
- Pour into a lined or greased baking dish and top with some vegan chocolate or nuts if you like and then bake for 25 to 30 minutes @150°C or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- You can also use desiccated coconut, I’ve tried both and it’s delicious either way!
- If you are not vegan you could use a regular egg instead.